• Home
  • News
  • 300 Houses For Rivers Civil Servants
News

300 Houses For Rivers Civil Servants

The promise made by the Rivers State Government (RSG) to set aside 300 housing units at the RIVTAFF Golf Estate in Port Harcourt for Public Servants in the State is now a reality.

This indication was given recently by the Head of Service, Barr Samuel LongJohn at a meeting he held with representatives of State owned Tertiary Institutions, the Nigeria Medical Association, the Judiciary, Ministry of Justice and Labour Unions in his Office in Port Harcourt.

The houses, consisting of two and three bedroom semi-detached flats, are located along Okuru by Peter Odili road in Port Harcourt.

Barr. LongJohn disclosed that a limited number of flats have been made available for Public Servants at the cost of N14m for a two bedroom flat and N21.85m for a three bedroom flat.

He stressed that those wishing to purchase any of the houses are expected to indicate their interest on or before the first week of January, 2014.

“According to the Developer, the cost of the houses have moved up and those interested are expected to indicate their interest within 90 days and already we have spent 21 days and by this condition, interested persons are to express their interest latest by early January and it will be on a first come first serve basis”, the Head of Service said.

Barr. LongJohn explained that interested persons are to pay a 30 percent equity contribution while the remaining 70 percent would be accessed through the National Housing Fund Scheme and deductions made from the salaries of beneficiaries.

He pointed out that in order to enable more public servants purchase the houses, arrangements are on with a mortgage finance institution, Aso Savings and Loans to pay 15 percent of the equity contribution which attracts a single digit interest rate repayable in two years.

The Head of Service explained that the meeting was called to enable them sensitize their members in view of the limited time frame, adding that circulars to that effect would be issued to all MDAs in a couple of days.

In their separate remarks, the Solicitor General/Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Justice, Barr Rufus Godwins, the General Manager of the Rivers State Housing and Property Development Authority, Arch. Iyerefaa CookeyGam, the Chairman of the State Chapter of the Nigeria Medical Association, Dr. Ibitrokoemi Korubo and others, thanked the State Government for giving them the opportunity to move into their own houses before retirement but appealed for a tripartite arrangement to enable Public Servants meet the conditions.

The RivTaff Golf Estate, comprising 750 housing units, is a Public Private Partnership project between the State Government and TAFF Homes Limited.

Related posts

March 19 Re-run Elections: Civil Society Platform Ends Mega Peace Rally In Port Harcourt

admin

ACN Petitions EFCC Over Rivers Monorail Project

admin

Kinsman Wants Jonathan, Wife Prosecuted

admin

Login

X

Register